Friday, January 2, 2015


2015


The year is 2015.  The uplifting phrase we hear every new year, "Wishing you a healthy and happy new year," has new meaning to me. 

As educators, we are responsible for making sure kids learn, saying it simply.  Expose, make progress, and come out knowing more than you went in with.  But we need to remember, we are dealing with kids.  And adults.  With people.  With people's lives.  It's not black and white.  People have lives beyond the schoolhouse. 

Today I learned that one of my family members has only a few weeks to live.  The ripple of heartbreak in the family is echoing. Nothing else matters right now.  And when she's gone, nothing else will matter for a while. Slowly, real life will creep back in, we will join our routines again. And we know this is a good thing. It begins to happen naturally.

I also look at my own health differently this new year.  One week ago, I had my gallbladder removed. After several months of curious pains, I finally narrowed down the culprit. Of course, this is the year I lowered my level of health insurance because "I never get sick." I began to question my ego of good health. I'm not a sickly person.  I'm proud of my good health. But what if I'm not that person? This entire experience affected my job, my family, and my pocketbook.

I am one person who boasts a drama-free life.  But these big things have happened to ME in one week.

When you tell someone that you wish them a happy and healthy new year, mean it.  People will feel your good energy.  And that is something we all need.





6 comments:

  1. Wow. Heavy blows to receive at the beginning of the New Year (or any time of the year). I pray you recovery quickly and completely from your surgery and I pray for peace for you and your family. God's grace and mercy be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we have to be reminded that we too must take care of ourselves. We are always so busy taking care of our work duties and our students, we forget we must make ourselves a priority. I know that you will be blessed in the new year, just as you continue to bless those you encounter each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your sad news, but I'm glad you shared this with us. Our students are important, but we have to take care of our family and ourselves. Someone once said, "No success in the world can compensate for failure at home." I can't help but think that they also included our health and our family's health in the meaning. Best wishes to you and your family in the New Year and always.

    ReplyDelete